Coast Guard Investigation Leads to Arrest of Illegal Alien After Boat Capsizes in New York Harbor, Killing Woman and Infant The suspect was conducting unlicensed tour operations at the time of the accident WASHINGTON – The United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released the following statement after an investigation by the U.S. Coast Guard led to the arrest of a criminal illegal alien following a boat accident in New York Harbor which led to the death of a woman and her infant. On August 8, 2026, a vessel that was piloted by Manuel Ernesto Hernandez-Umana, an illegal alien from El Salvador, capsized in New York Harbor. The accident resulted in the deaths of a 27-year-old woman and her 5-month-old infant. Hernandez-Umana had been using the boat to conduct unlicensed tour operations, and the vessel was over capacity at the time of the incident. Other boats in the area, including vessels with the Coast Guard, New York Police Department (NYPD), and the New York City Fire Department, responded to render emergency assistance. Members of the Coast Guard and NYPD recovered the bodies of the two victims, who were pronounced deceased upon their arrival at a local hospital. The vessel that capsized while being illegally operated in New York Harbor The U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York announced that Hernandez-Umana has been charged with TWO counts of misconduct and neglect of a ship officer resulting in death. After an investigation by the Coast Guard Investigative Service (CGIS) confirmed Hernandez-Umana’s unlawful presence in the United States, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) arrested him. “This criminal illegal alien was illegally and recklessly conducting unlicensed boat tours in New York Harbor when his boat capsized, killing a 27-year-old woman and her 5-month-old baby,” said DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin. “Thanks to the hard work of the men and women of the Coast Guard, ICE, and our federal, state, and local partners, this criminal is off our streets and out of our waterways. Once he faces justice for his crimes, we will make sure that he is swiftly removed from our country.” “Federal regulations and maritime safety protocols exist to protect the lives and wellbeing of passengers on commercial vessels,” said U.S. Attorney Jamie McDonald. “The defendant allegedly flouted those regulations when he transported paying customers on a commercial vessel without appropriate licenses, overcrowded the vessel, and took on a 5-month-old infant passenger, with no infant life vests onboard. We mourn the tragic drowning deaths of the infant and her mother and urge would-be tour operators and the public to observe all safety protocols for commercial vessels.” “Illegal charter operations gamble with human life, and in this case, the alleged conduct led to an unthinkable tragedy,” said CGIS Assistant Director Josh Packer. “As the Coast Guard’s criminal investigative agency, CGIS brings unmatched maritime subject-matter expertise coupled with federal law enforcement authority. Working with our federal, state, and local partners, we will continue to investigate those who ignore passenger vessel safety laws and put the public in danger.” “As alleged in the complaint, Manuel Hernandez showed a complete disregard for the safety of his passengers when he piloted an over-capacity boat without a license that capsized in the New York Harbor,” said NYPD Commissioner Jessica S. Tisch. “This tragedy could have been prevented, and now a family is left to grieve the unimaginable loss of a mother and her 5-month-old daughter because of his negligence. I am grateful to our NYPD Harbor and Aviation Units for their swift response and to the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York for bringing these charges.” Hernandez-Umana claims to have illegally entered the United States through Texas in 2007, lying to a U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officer and falsely claiming to be a U.S. citizen so that he could enter the country. This case is being handled by the U.S. Attorney’s Office’s General Crimes Unit. Special Assistant U.S. Attorney Andrew Stahl is in charge of the prosecution. |
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.